[TowerTalk] FW: In Shack Tuner Vs. Remote Tuner for Multi-Band Antennas

Tony dxdx at optonline.net
Sun May 4 15:44:09 EDT 2014

Jim:

> Bottom line -- all band dipoles and OCF antennas are a very bad idea
> in today's world where RF trash is everywhere. I view them as an
> unnatural act. Yes, you can load a random dipole fed with high Z line
> and get it to accept power, but the pattern will vary widely with
> frequency (lots of nulls), and because you can't choke the feedline,
> it will pick up lots of noise. There ain't no free lunch. Resonant
> antennas fed with coax rock. The others "roll."
>
> 73, Jim K9YC

How does the ladder line doublet antenna effect the patterns on
different bands? I suspect that the patterns can get somewhat chaotic on
the upper HF bands with say an 80 through 10 meter doublet?

It seems that the most effective multi-band solution is to go with a fan
dipole, which in my case, would be for 80, 40 and 30 meters.

Tony