[TowerTalk] Crank up mast help needed

Jim Pruitt wa7duy at charter.net
Fri May 9 00:15:37 EDT 2014

I am hoping that someones can help me.  I recently committed to buy a crank
up mast that is being sold by the daughter of a silent key.  The mast looks
like about 60ft with 3 sections 20ft or so tall.  I could not see the third
section but the second section cranked up with a sawtooth metal strip like
used on drill presses to raise and lower them.  The mast looked well made
and thicker pipe so probably commercial but I saw no label.  Also the crank
is missing.  It went on a square shaft but did not measure it but was
probably 1/2" or 3/4" square.

Anyone have any idea what I can use to crank it down or where I could get a
crank to fit it?

Can any ones tell me how to lower this mast to the ground safely and tip it
over?  It currently has a small rotor on top (Ham M or Ham 4 style) and a 3
element beam that looked like either 6 meters or 10 meters.  I would guess
that it is at about the 45ft level or so.

Thank you.

Jim Pruitt
WA7DUY