[TowerTalk] Fwd: Tower base/Ufer ground

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Sun May 18 10:04:00 EDT 2014

On 5/18/14, 2:17 AM, Roger (K8RI) on TT wrote:
> On 5/18/2014 12:44 AM, Jim Lux wrote:

>>> Shouldn't the medium be in cubic units?
>>

>> No.. it works out right if you do the dimensional analysis..
>
> Not if you do the math right.
>

>> Resistivity is in ohm-m, conductivity in 1/(ohm-m) or S/m  (since S is
>> 1/ohms)
> Resistivity is not ohms per m, it's usually given as ohms per cubic
> centimeter.
>
> Resistance usually is dimensionless, unless it's bulk and then it's so
> many ohms per unit length

Resistance isn't actually dimensionless, but we can consider it so here.

Resitivity (rho in most equations)
The SI unit of electrical resistivity is the ohm⋅metre (Ω⋅m)

So, to compute the resistance of a bar of material that has length L (in
meters) and cross sectional area A (in square meters), you'd calculate as:

R = rho (ohm * meters) * L (meters) / A (meters*meters)

reducing units, you see that you wind up with (ohms * meters *
meters)/(meters * meters), so the result is in ohms, which is what you
would expect.

Conductivity  (sigma) is in Siemens per meter (S/m).  Just as for
resistance, to calculate the conductance you follow a similar equation.
Doubling the length halves the conductance; doubling the area doubles
the conductance so

G = sigma (Siemens/meter) * Area (meters * meters) / Length (meters)

Again, the length units cancel, so we're left with G in Siemens

> You are confusing resistance with resistivity. You are losing a unit
> somewhere because resistivity is ohms per cubic meter or more often ohms
> per cubic centimeter.  Look up the dictionary definition. Resistance is
> between two points. Resistivity takes into account the volume as the
> units are .
> Resistivity is in ohms per cubic centimeter. I worked with developing
> standards for liquids and circular solids With a Silicon production
> company for many years.
>   The dictionary definition: for resistivity takes into account both
> area and length. IE: volume as in resistivity ohms ^3 cm.  Had a devil
> of a time getting the techs to stop confusing the two.  The easiest was
> to give them a probe consisting of 2, 1cm square plates, 1 cm apart,
> then thy had no conversions.
>

>> Resistance = Length * resistivity/cross sectional area.
>
> No. Again that is resistivity

Not according to the SI definition.. Resistance is measured in ohms, etc.

I think you might be conflating "how it's measured" vs "how it's defined".

If I take a bar of material, and connect my resistance meter to the ends
(assuming I can contact the entire end simultaneously, e.g. if I had a
bar of carbon with silver plated ends) then everything works out.

>> so to get ohms as resistance, you need resistivity to be ohms * length
>> (because Length/area is 1/length)
>>
>> Likewise, conductivity is = Area * conductivity/length, so it needs to
>> be Siemens/meter
>>

> Conductivity is the reciprocal of resistivity, not resistance. Please
> stop working the formulas and just look up the definitions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_conductivity
Electrical resistivity (also known as resistivity, specific electrical
resistance, or volume resistivity) quantifies how strongly a given
material opposes the flow of electric current. A low resistivity
indicates a material that readily allows the movement of electric
charge. Resistivity is commonly represented by the Greek letter ρ (rho).
The SI unit of electrical resistivity is the ohm⋅metre (Ω⋅m)[1][2][3]
although other units like ohm⋅centimetre (Ω⋅cm) are also in use. As an
example, if a 1 m × 1 m × 1 m solid cube of material has sheet contacts
on two opposite faces, and the resistance between these contacts is 1 Ω,
then the resistivity of the material is 1 Ω⋅m.

Electrical conductivity or specific conductance is the reciprocal of
electrical resistivity, and measures a material's ability to conduct an
electric current. It is commonly represented by the Greek letter σ
(sigma), but κ (kappa) (especially in electrical engineering) or γ
(gamma) are also occasionally used. Its SI unit is siemens per metre
(S/m) and CGSE unit is reciprocal second (s−1).