[TowerTalk] Heights Tower

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Mon May 19 12:18:35 EDT 2014

I have a 50 ft Rohn 25 with a tilt base. I will be mounting it atop a
plate of steel the same size but thicker than the mfg's plate using
insulators.  I will basically duplicate the insulated base arrangement
on my Hy-Gain Hy-Tower vertical antenna.  You can buy the insulators
from Hy-Gain or make your own if you are a handy DIY kinda guy. The
Hy-Gain Hy-Tower is on an insulated tilt base and is intended to be free
standing.  I guyed mine at the 24 ft level with Phillystran as I put it
on the roof of a barn and did not set the base in the cubic yard of
concrete called for in the instructions.

  If you are concerned that your tower is heavier than the Hy-Tower or
has a greater wind load and will not be guyed then you could always
build the base larger in dimension putting the insulators farther apart
so as to gain mechanical advantage. YOu could double up on the number of
insulators or make some oversized ones with significantly larger
diameter.  There are other insulated bases you could copy but the
Hy-Gain Hy-Tower base has been in production and use for several decades
and works.  There has been a change/improvement that replaced a "T"
shaped piece of steel with a stainless steel triangle with folded edges
for stiffness.

I recommend comparing the windage of your tower to whatever tower's
insulated base you want to emulate. Be guided by the insulated bases in
production with a good track record and you won't have to accept the
risk of an unproven design.

Hopefully others will bring their insulated base experience  for
additional guidance.

73,

Patrick NJ5G