[TowerTalk] Common-mode choke

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue May 20 02:35:19 EDT 2014

On 5/19/2014 2:08 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> I would guess that most antenna applications are more the "broadband
> choke" than the "narrowband notch".

In ALL cases where ferrite chokes are used for suppression, it is the
resistive component of the impedance that is always useful. A choke that
depends only on inductive reactance will resonate with the cable that it
is choking, which increases the current rather than suppressing it.

The RFI-Ham.pdf tutorial shows the only trustworthy measurement setup I
know of other than the dedicated HP Impedance instrument. Both that
tutorial, and the Power Point pdf on Coax Chokes show several chokes
with their measurements, then computes circuit values for their parallel
equivalent circuits.

Note that my measurements are scalar (magnitude only), so those circuit
values are developed by empirical means. Rp is the Z at resonance, a
first approximation for L is determined from the shape of the curve well
below resonance, C is computed from the resonance equation. Then L and C
values are tweaked manually until the plot of the resonance equation
most closely matches the measured data.

Also note that because the equivalent circuit for #31 chokes with lots
of turns includes two resonance, stagger-tuned, the above method must be
considered a first approximation. See the tutorial for a discussion of
the second resonance.

73, Jim K9YC