[TowerTalk] Common-mode choke

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Tue May 20 03:09:24 EDT 2014

On 5/19/2014 2:21 PM, Steve Hunt wrote:
> Jim,
>
> I don't disagree - I just don't consider a "Q" of 1.3 to be
> particularly high for a choke!

Nor do I, but the #61 chokes I've measured are in the range of 4-5.
Compare the data sheets at the beginning of the Fair-Rite catalog for
#31, #43, and #61. For the first two, u'' is greater than u' by a factor
of about 1.6 in the range of 30 MHz, while for #61, the relationship is
the opposite, and by a similar ratio.

Another point brought home by other comments in this thread. If the
choke is sensitive to the stray C of the test fixture, it will also be
sensitive to the stray in the practical circuit where it is used.
Another reason to avoid it. N6BT, designer of the excellent Force 12
antennas, pays a lot of attention to the sensitivity of a design to
surrounding objects, height, etc. and works on his designs until they
don't have these issues.

73, Jim K9YC