[TowerTalk] Wire antennas

Jim Brown jim at audiosystemsgroup.com
Mon May 26 20:06:29 EDT 2014

On 5/26/2014 11:07 AM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:
> The other thing you can do for wire antennas  (tnx to Jim for all his
> insights) is to use a continuous halyard. That is, the  halyard should be one
> length tied in a loop. Tie an overhand knot in it  somewhere and that will
> give you a loop with which to hook one end of the wire  antenna.

Thank K2RD for the halyard idea. That's a good way to get a pulley up
high without hiring tree climbers (expensive), but you give up a bit of
height.

> I've found that in almost all cases, it's the  wire antenna that breaks
> - not the halyard. Since you've got a continuous and  functioning halyard,
> just hook the wire back to it and you're good to go. It's  such a PITA to
> replace a halyard with one end at the top of the tree that this  should save
> you some potential future misery.

Rope can wear and even break if it allowed to rub over a tree branch,
and even in some pulleys. Absent that problem though, yes, it's the weak
spots in the antenna that break.

And a big thank you to Steve, K7LXC, who visited me 4-5 years ago and
advised me that Rohn 25 would work for me if I installed it properly and
didn't put too much on it.

73, Jim K9YC