[TowerTalk] 100ft mobile on 160

John E Cleeve g3jvc at jcleeve.idps.co.uk
Sat Nov 1 11:30:40 EDT 2014

Thank you David WA3GIN & Joe W4TV for further suggestions and advice.

The site where my mobile unit is located is on a peninsula which gets gale
force winds from both the Irish Sea and the Atlantic, especially during the
winter; therefore it is important that the ability of the 100ft telescopic
mast to be "nested" or even tilted back horizontal onto the trailer during
the worst storms be retained. The suggestion that a wire cage configuration,
perhaps including a top loading assembly be considered, is very interesting,
especially if it can be constructed in a way which would allow for the
"touch of a button" movement of the mast itself. Originally this site housed
a 600ft top loaded radiator on 85 KHz, but that is another story!

I can visualise the 100ft length of the wires forming the cage assembly
being "looped" or folded when the 100ft mast is nested at approximately 25ft
and then the cage gradually forming as the mast rises, finally taking shape
when the mast reaches its maximum height and at that stage, the cage wires
can be placed in tension, to withstand the effects of wind buffeting. But, I
think that some method of keeping the cage wires under constant tension
would be required, whilst the mast is rising, to ensure that the wind does
not blow loose wire cage elements into the moving mast sections, where they
could become entangled and probably broken. Perhaps this could be achieved
by each cage wire element running in a combination of multiple yacht pulley
guides or supports, with elastic yachting rope being used to provide the
tension. I think that the cage suggestion could be the practical solution,
more food for thought. I would appreciate further comment.

Sincerely, John. G3JVC / GM3JVC.