[TowerTalk] Terminate braid at top of tower...or

Stan Stockton wa5rtg at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 07:56:22 EST 2014

> ### My problem with the K9YC balun winding technique, as described
> in his tutorial, is the winding technique itself.  He depicts these huge
> loops of coax on the outside of the cores.  How is the completed assy
> mounted to the feedpoint of the typ yagi ?

I also have trouble contemplating having a big wad of heavy cores hanging from the driven element of a large Yagi where the driven element may be 30 feet or more from the mast.

Reading K9YC materials it appears that anything less than 5-9 cores just wouldn't be good enough to do a good job on 14-30 MHz.

Look at the specs on the Balun Designs two core choke wound with RG-400, rated at 5KW and sealed in a plastic box.  Are those specs wrong or is there a discernible difference between that one and one wound on more cores?  Will that choke, rated at 5 KW, handle 1500 watts in a contest?

One other thing that is difficult for me to understand...  Why would anyone ever consider using RG-58 or relatively huge diameter, heavy RG-213 (requiring more cores) as suggested in the material when silver plated,Teflon insulated, higher power handling, stranded center conductor RG-400 is available for very little money.

I am gathering the ingredients to make some chokes.  Do not want to be in situation where what I don't know DOES hurt me.  Heretofore most of my antennas have had coax wound on a piece of PVC.

I am hoping the end result is worth the trouble and not like an A/B real world comparison of a tower base with a PE stamped rebar cage design versus someone throwing in a big handful of rebar pieces one at a time as the concrete was poured for a guyed tower.

73...Stan, K5GO