[TowerTalk] Connectorizing rotator cables

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Fri Nov 7 08:44:41 EST 2014

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2014 10:46:57 -0500
From: Kelly Taylor <ve4xt at mymts.net>
To: Don <w7wll at arrl.net>, Towertalk <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: [TowerTalk] Connectorizing rotator cables

I will admit I was suckered into the idea of using a connector on my Ham-x
style rotator.

I've changed the rotator, let's see, want to make sure I don't lose count
here, ummmmmm, ZERO times in almost 10 years.

Next time, no connectors. Nothing is as impervious as an unbroken run of
cable. I'm also not convinced that undoing eight lugs on a terminal strip is
any harder than undoing the weatherproofing on the connector!

73, kelly
ve4xt\

##  excellent point.   You would have to weather proof the quick
disconnect..with the usual mess of  33/88 tape + heat shrink.
You have to be real careful  cutting the heat shrink off, so you don’t
slice into the tape + cable inside it.   There is heat shrink..then there
is real heat shrink.  The real stuff is the T+B brand....with all the ribs
inside it..and the glue gunk.  Once shrunk, the glue is oozing out each end
a bit.   We used miles of it at work since I started there in 1976.   Trick is,
we also used the mating megabuck heat gun.  It has an adjustable restriction
on the intake to restrict airflow into it... so it gets hotter.   The business end
has a curved  horizontal metal tube welded to it.  So the curved piece  loops
around the back end of the assy.  Then you end up heating it full circumference.

Jim   VE7RF