[TowerTalk] Connector and Other Product Sourcing

Don w7wll at arrl.net
Fri Nov 7 15:45:15 EST 2014

First off, let me state that the nearest nearly serious electronics parts
store is a couple hours plus drive from our place, albeit there are a couple
of small RS's (who never have what I need and also seem to be multishops,
sharing space with ammo and gun sales and/or nail and hair work, etc). The
latter may be a bit of exaggeration but darned close!!!!

So, I do a lot of my shopping on line, cheaper and easier than driving 100
miles and two hours, one way.

I urgently needed some UHF female to N female barrel connectors recently.
While I have a lot of N connectors and adapters I didn't have those. Looking
on line at the usual sources I was taken back by the first round, finding
prices ranging from $28 to $13. Of course shipping was another 7 to 8
dollars.

Nearing the end of my search and getting disappointed, I ran across a Show
Me Cables (some of you may be familiar with them) who had the barrel in
stock for less than $9 and only charged $2.99 for shipping the lot. Had
never heard of them. Examined them upon arrival and the quality is
excellent, the mfr appears to be a company called eCore and are Made In USA.
Would like to have had silver plating, but the nickel plating will work
fine.

Show Me Cables staff even followed up with an email asking if I got what I
wanted and was I satisfied. Can't remember the last time a dealer did that
with stuff I've bought. By the way, the barrels shipped the same day I
ordered them. I'm impressed with the scope of the connector and cable stock
they have and their very fair prices, including shipping cost and the rapid
order fill.

Wonder if anyone else has used them and what the experiences were? What
posters on this reflector have to say about vendors, products, etc is
important to me and I'm sure, others. Now, got to find some silver-plated
male UHF connectors for some 213 cable.

I like the feedback given on this reflector and read the various viewpoints
on the more controversial subjects. There is a wealth of talent and
expertise amongst the group. Vendor and products reports (good, bad, OK) are
particularly helpful.

Don W7WLL