[TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

Gary J - N5BAA qltfnish at omniglobal.net
Mon Nov 17 10:56:15 EST 2014

I crimp all my coax connectors now too, and horrors upon horrors made the
jump from UHF Pl-259's to Crimp N connectors at the same time.  I made the
change to N connectors because I was buying new crimp connectors anyway and
it made sense to change to the much better connector at the same time.  The
next time I am inside my Elecraft K3 and P3 I will change out the SO-239's
for female N connectors, and until then I just use adaptors.  I must admit I
am probably not a "Real Ham Operator" since I am not a good solderer.  I can
manage to solder the N pins though.  I say all the above with trepidation
though, as recently on our club reflector I started a UHF vs N and solder vs
crimp war that has resulted in one of our club members resigning his
membership.  Being a 3 year ham, I had no idea that the opinions on
connectors ran so deep.

Is there a source for just the crimping dies for Power Poles that might fit
in my crimpers??  My crimpers came from below - they are the same as 90% of
the crimpers out there and buying here gets you two crimper pliers vs one
crimper and two sets of dies.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00KNC6E4G/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Gary J
N5BAA