[TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Nov 18 02:04:32 EST 2014

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 2014 00:36:55 -0500
From: "Roger (K8RI) on TT" <K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

I've used a number of connectors, most of which are the Times Wire crimp
connectors.  I like them as they come with a length of heat shrink.
They are a very well made connector, but with the 100' vertical run
still need the loops at top and bottom.

As to a loop,  Why never?   I must disagree.  I see no reason not to use
them and a number for using them.
As long as the loop is not too tight, center migration is not a problem,
nor is lightening with the shield bonded to the tower, top and bottom.

The same for tape. I do not like the large ty-wraps as they put too much
pressure on a small spot. and two wraps ever two feet gives a secure
hold. I run the coax along a tower leg, inside the tower, bonded to the
top and bottom of the tower. Put on in reasonable weather, I've never
had any come off or loose.  Tape in cold weather is not a good
idea.After this many years, I've been given no reason to change.

73

Roger (K8RI)

##  are the Times Wire type-N  crimp connectors.... captivated or non captivated ?
At the telco I worked at, the cell dept would use crimp style type N connectors.
Crimp style were used, simply cuz they had a heck of a lot of connectors to install.
In some applications, > 100 connectors had to be installed.

##  The story I got years ago was that both captivated and non captivated type N
connectors were available,and that the captivated type N  was the preferred one to
use.

##  Just b4 I retired in nov 2009, they had just converted to 7-16 Din.  Most of the other
cell cos  had already been using 7-16 Dins since day 1.   If you have ever seen a type N
on a huge piece of heliax, you will soon see why.   Looking at a coffee mug size connector
with a puny type N pin is laughable. A type N pin is the same as the pin on a BNC.

##  I was going to embark on my own type N conversion program and gave up on it.
UHF connectors have bigger pins than type N.  There is no RF  on the pin anyway..its
all flowing along the barrel  of the mating female that the pin engages.

## Andrew stopped making UHF connectors for .875 inch heliax a long time ago.
LC connectors are out of vogue these days.  The only game in town is the type N and the
7-16Din.   Andrew, Times, etc, all offer both type N and 7-16 Din for their cables.
If you have ever seen a 7-16 Din,  you wont be using a type N anytime soon. The
pin in a 7-16 Din is huge, like a .22 shell.   The OD of the female that the pin engages
is 7mm OD.   The ID of the mating sleeve is 16mm.

##  You can also get crimp style 7-16 dins for ANY cable..including RG-393, 58-U, heliax,
LMR-400/600/1200,  etc.

##  I still  use plane UHF connectors for stuff like 213 U... albeit they are silver plated
and teflon dielectric.   The silver plated type are real EASY to solder.... vs the nickel
plated types.

##  A loop at the top and bottom of the tower is not going to hurt anything...provided its
a big enough turn radius.

Jim   VE7RF