[TowerTalk] One last thought on PowerPole and then I will shut up

Matthew Kaufman matthew at matthew.at
Tue Nov 18 15:55:14 EST 2014

On 11/18/2014 11:06 AM, Bill Turner wrote:
> Here is an alternative to PowerPole that is already assembled and
> requires no special tools:
>
> http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/con-319/2-conductor-weather-resistant-connector-14awg/1.html
>
> They do not state the current capacity but it has 14 gage wire and
> will probably handle a 100 watt transceiver.  Like PowerPole, they are
> polarized and goof-proof when wired correctly.

"Goof-proof?"

Try connecting your portable battery to your car power outlet (you can,
but the polarity will be reversed and the smoke comes out).

Or worse, try connecting together two outlets from your power supply
(you can, even more smoke comes out).

I used these for a long time, and used a lot of cable ties and tape to
try to prevent power sources from being plugged into themselves, and
still broke things. So I stopped.

I now use PowerPoles for my home stations, but absolutely not at my
repeater sites. Too easy for someone else to disconnect, and contact
resistance can increase over time if not cycled (and the contact warps
as it heats up). Screwed-down ring terminals, or permanent crimp
connections only.

Matthew Kaufman