[TowerTalk] Some advice about crimp ;type coax connectors

Stan Labinsky Jr. K2STN at frontier.com
Wed Nov 19 02:03:33 EST 2014

Now if you want to talk butane soldering irons, let's take a look at those
from Master Appliance.

I have a Solder Pro 120, have used it for years.  Used it to solder 58U
cable to 3/4" Motorola (NMO) mounts.  Nice iron... but!  In the winter it
juuuuust about almost had enough heat to do the shield connection using the
biggest flat blade tip available.  As long as it wasn't too windy.

The big Master guy on the other hand... he's like an old fashioned 100 watt
plug-in soldering iron, the kind with a two prong plug, cotton covered cord
and a half inch diameter copper tip.  You touch it to the work, the solder
flows!  Don't care how cold it is outside.   Well, actually I do, it gets
awfully uncomfortable up in the crosswind on top of a school bus roof in the
winter.  But hey, that's where the antenna is, it's been torn out of the
roof and the mount's shot... well, it's a living.

The only fly in this ointment?  Cost!  The Master goes for about 4 times the
120's price.  But when it's needed, it's well worth it!

Oh, BTW, watch the kind of fuel you buy.  Have used some supposedly good
stuff which was contaminated with... well, I forget what the Solder Pro
folks said that it was  They even commented that for a short time the
contaminated fuel was even ruining brand new irons as they were being tested
at the factory, or so I was told when I tried to send mine back for warranty
service many years ago.  They, instead, sent me a new valve and orifice
assembly... the bad ones were literally gummed up with a jelly like polymer
goo.  The only stuff I was told to use was the Master Appliance fuel.  That
I buy from Grainger.

Stan