[TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re: Cordless solder irons

Bill Turner dezrat at outlook.com
Thu Nov 20 15:08:29 EST 2014

On Thu, 20 Nov 2014 14:16:49 -0500, you wrote:

>Silicone RTV such as Silastic RTV (TM) has a high viscosity and will not
>fill stranded wire.  It will have very little penetration.  The hot melt
>glue inside the flooded heat shrink tubing would likely penetrate
>better, but I'd not want to depend on it penetrating to the center
>providing a moisture barrier.
>
>I'm not sure what would fill all the gaps to the center of the core to
>present a conductor that would not be capable of wicking moisture into
>the connection.
>
>73
>
>Roger (K8RI)

REPLY:

Quite correct, RTV has almost no penetration, but I don't think that
matters when it comes to sealing out weather. What you want is to
prevent moisture or contaminants from getting to the joint in the
first place, never mind penetration. At this, RTV is superb.

Think of the way RTV is used to seal aquariums. Even after years and
years of complete submersion, no water ever penetrates the seal.
Exactly what you want in a sealed joint outdoors. Whether there is
penetrates or not is irrelevant.

73, Bill W6WRT