[TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

Bryan Swadener via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Mon Nov 24 16:36:15 EST 2014

There's more to it than forward gain for the signal you WANT to hear. F/B and F/S rejects signals you DON'T want to hear. Otherwise, everyone would just use omnidirectional antennas. I like that QRM disappears or drops down a bunch when I turn my F12 flamethrower 90 or 180 degrees away. Sometimes, I'll null on the QRM instead of peaking on the desired signal. With a beamwidth of around 50 degrees at the -3dB points, the peak is pretty broad. So, there's sometimes not much to lose by turning away a little from the desired signal.
Kudos to K7LXC and NØAX for their book, "HF Tribander Performance - Test Methods & Results". It helped me pull the trigger on my new (to me) F12 C-4XL yagi.
vy 73,Bryan WA7PRC