[TowerTalk] And we talk about free climbing !

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Mon Nov 24 20:55:08 EST 2014

On 11/23/2014 8:44 PM, Stan Labinsky Jr. wrote:
> And I have a pet peeve with all of this.

Likewise.

Far more are injured, climbing, driving (without seat belts, helmets,
safety gear).  I don't have the stats for climbing, but with cars we
kill more than 30,000 a year, down from 50,000 before seat belts, air
bags, and crush zones.  There are many times that number crippled for
life.  The value of lost wages, medical costs, and personal care (home
or professional) is huge.

If the risk taker also provides income for a family, what then?
I've reached that point in life where age is catching up. No more
climbing, no more yard work.  Think of the people that put themselves
and their families in this position due to lack of responsibility.  We
expect age to bring limitations, but what about when we are the direct
cause of those limitations?

We all grow old, but taking responsibility is something else.  It may be
us taking the risks, but family, friends and work share in the
problems,  Accidents raise the cost of items produced because of higher
insurance premiums, overtime wages to cover for you, and a whole bunch
of expenses to take care of the injuries.

The, "I wanna be free" ignores the load (financial and emotional) we
place on others.

A friend was injured climbing and it's not uncommon.  Another was
crippled for life in a motorcycle accident, and another was killed when
he hit his head on a curb while riding bicycle with no helmet. These
were all people I knew.      I've seen similar stories on the reflectors.
They were dismantling a tower.    They were down to 30 feet left when
something happened.  Whether something broke the temporary guys, or they
failed for some reason, the 30' stick broke.  He ended up, badly broken up.
When a person lives with pain and on pain killers they can get difficult
to live with, or they can no longer provide for a family

In all those cases a divorce followed.  The injured was left/deserted by
those he or she expected would at least offer emotional support.

Remember "No man is an island?"

73

Roger (K8RI)