[TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Tue Nov 25 13:52:16 EST 2014

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2014 20:46:14 +0100
From: "Peter Voelpel" <dj7ww at t-online.de>
To: "'Towertalk'" <towertalk at contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

Hi Jim,

To get the same signal strength -4db compared to the 3el yagi on low angles
with your dipole that dipole must be mounted much, much higher then the yagi
and even higher with more elements on the yagi.

Tribanders at the same height as the 6 el monobander certainly will have
identical gain when the effective boom length is identical and enough
elements sitting on it.

I don?t build yagis for getting more gain above dipoles at high lobes, but
for low elevation angles and better receiving.

73
Peter

##  Ok, what are u saying here.  Lets say a 20m dipole and a  3-el 20m yagi.... both at 70 feet.
At really low angles..say 0-10 deg..... will the 3-el  yagi have even more than 5.2 db of gain ??
Or put another way... even though 70 feet  = aprx 15 deg take off angle of main lobe.... does the
yagi exhibit more gain vs the dipole at angles below 15 deg ?

##  anytime I have done yagi to dipole tests in the past..the difference was astounding.  I always
assumed it was cause the dipole was fixed...not rotatable...  and not quite broadside to the station.

Jim