[TowerTalk] Yagi gain vs rotary dipole.

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Tue Nov 25 17:44:31 EST 2014

> ## Ok, what are u saying here. Lets say a 20m dipole and a 3-el 20m
> yagi.... both at 70 feet.At really low angles..say 0-10 deg.....
> will the 3-el yagi have even more than 5.2 db of gain ?? Or put
> another way... even though 70 feet = aprx 15 deg take off angle of
> main lobe.... does the yagi exhibit more gain vs the dipole at angles
> below 15 deg ?

A little work with EZNEC provides some answers ...

Using the model of a five element 20 meter yagi at 50 feet and a dipole
at 50 feet above *real* average ground ...

The dipole has a peak gain of 8.0 dBi at 21 degrees.

The 5 element Yagi shows 14.4 dBi at 18 degrees

  Angle     Dipole       Yagi
   2        -7.7        -0.1    dBi
   4        -1.8         5.7    dBi
   6         1.5         8.9    dBi