[TowerTalk] Is There a Good Balun...

Kelly Taylor ve4xt at mymts.net
Wed Nov 26 15:56:12 EST 2014

Not that baluns or chokes are a requirement in every situation, but "back in
the days" they also thought connecting one side of the A/C to chassis was a
good idea, too. At least today's Pin 1 problem isn't potentially fatal...

A half-century of research and engineering has changed a lot in electronics
and science. And, as Jim points out, that some of today's solutions were
then rendered moot by tubes and tank circuits doesn't mean they don't apply
today.

The big problem is separating marketing myth from reality. One Mississippi
manufacturer would have you believe your station will be inoperable without
every little 'solution' they can dream up, even if they're solutions to
problems nobody knew existed. Or, in some cases, expensive and ineffective
solutions to real problems (such as the MaxCon dipole).

There's a lot of snake oil on the market, but that doesn't mean that
rational solutions, supported by computer modelling and sound reasoning, are
hooey. Especially if they come from retired engineers with no vested
interest in whether you read their stuff or not.

73,kelly
ve4xt

On 11/26/14 1:39 PM, "Ken" <wa8jxm at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 26, 2014, at 12:48 PM, Wilson <infomet at embarqmail.com> wrote:
>

> My own take is that after hearing a lot of talk, much of it BS, and being
> exposed to a lot of colorful ads, we have developed a ³need² that far
> overshadows reality.

Wilson, I tend to support your view.  ³Back in the
> days², there was little or no use of baluns.  Look back at my 1960¹s handbooks
> and antenna books and the mention was rare and certainly not a mainstream
> requirement.

Ken

TowerTalk mailing
TowerTalk at contesting.com