[TowerTalk] Fwd: Connector install failure.

Hans Hammarquist via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Sat Nov 29 11:14:13 EST 2014

Rick,

I agree that this method guarantee no short in the coax but may introduce other problems later. I suspect that the individual wires in the shield will break off, one by one, over time, especially if the cable is moved such as repeatedly connected and unconnected.

I recommend that you add a couple of shrink tubes in staggering lengths to be used to reduce the physical movement around the soldering point at the connector.

The wires in the shield are are usually hard and the addition of solder makes them even harder, a precondition for breakage when flexed.

I have made and used the "traditional" method during my (many) years and have also used the shown "solder-on-the-outside" with named result. The reason for shorted connections have most of the time been due to wrongly set or worn out/dull knifes in the stripper.

Good luck with your installation.

Best 73 de,

Hans - N2JFS