[TowerTalk] Climbing

ve5ra at sasktel.net ve5ra at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 2 11:13:39 EDT 2014

Mike,

It's good to hear from people who are realistic and have common sense.

Free climbing has been around for thousands of years and will continue
for many more.

Some folks get all twisted and bent out of shape when free climbing is
done.  Like all activities there are risks involved.  To have one
death is unacceptable, but consider how many folks loose their lives
driving, or falling off ladders, or in aeroplane crashes, every day.
Yet these activities continue.  Life is terminal.  To end it
prematurely is unfortunate, however one does their best to survive in
this world.

I am talking about climbing towers under say 150 feet.  I am not
talking about working on high steel or working on thousand foot towers.

I am much safer free climbing a secure tower than free climbing an
unsecured extension ladder.  That ladder can wobble and slide to the
ground ... crash.

Free climbing should only be done by persons who:
Are in excellent physical shape.
Are not careless by nature.
Are not tired.
Are mentally focused.
Are not risk takers.
Are capable.
Are not in a rush.
Are experienced.
Knows their safety eqiupment.
Climb in suitable weather conditions.

IMO some of the safety regulations are practical and others
political.  Some regulations appear to try and protect even the
incompetent and careless.  If we have the climber gorilla hooked in
six different places with a full body harness tied off in ten different
spots and a parachute attached to his butt, there is no way this person
is going to fall and hurt themselves.  IMO some of these regulations
are there to protect the regulators.  They can say we did everything
possible to protect climbers so the responsibility is not ours.  Sure
load the climber down with pounds and pounds of additional gear.

IMO some of the issues are caused by the climbing industry
themselves.  Asking climbers to work in unsuitable weather conditions,
asking workers to hurry up, hiring workers that are careless by nature
and so on.

I am not recommending any climbing method.  You know how I climb.
You do what is practicable and reasonable.

As I have said many times before "If you can't free climb, you
shouldn't be climbing at all".

Doug