[TowerTalk] Anchor Bolt Material

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Oct 14 11:34:15 EDT 2014

On 10/14/14, 8:23 AM, K7LXC--- via TowerTalk wrote:
>>   Anchor bolt update:
> Thanks for all the input everyone.  It looks like epoxy, or at least
> commercial grade stuff dispensed with a  caulking gun is out as a potential
> solution. It seems like the holes I made are  too big.
> So now I am looking at anchoring cement and trying to talk to  industrial
> contractors to see if there is another alternative.
>
>          So how did you determine  that your new holes won't work for
> putting in your anchor bolts? The epoxy is  stronger than the concrete so it seems
> to me that's it's a non-issue. Are you  over-thinking this?

LXC asks a good question..I would think that if the failure load of the
epoxy is greater than concrete, and the contact area between the epoxy
and concrete is greater, it should work.  But you'd want to call someone
who actually *knows*.  Someone at the chemical anchor mfr probably has
done tests on this kind of thing.  People drilling the wrong size hole
or in the wrong place is a real common reason for using chemical anchors
in the first place.

The other thing is, can you rotate the base 60 or 45 degrees and drill
new holes. Yeah, the existing holes do provide a weak spot in the block
o'concrete, but maybe those could be filled with concrete (I don't know
how well concrete bonds to concrete in these situations, but I'll bet
there's a grout that works well. And it might be cheaper than the fairly
expensive epoxy.