[TowerTalk] Anchor bolt material

Ray, W4BYG w4byg at att.net
Tue Oct 14 18:10:50 EDT 2014

I haven't purchased any lately but previously was able to buy it from
the local drug store in 1 lb. packages.  I don't remember the price but
it wasn't much.  Once installed, it appeared strong enough that when I
used it to set guy anchor bolts in 8" deep 2" wide holes drilled into
granite rock I estimated, it would take a D-7 Cat to pull it out (SWAG).

Wedge-lock bolts I am told, could vibrate loose from the guys moving in
the wind.
Ray, W4BYG

On 10/14/2014 5:54 PM, Jim Lux wrote:
> On 10/12/14, 12:23 PM, Ray, W4BYG wrote:
>> While I don't have detailed specifications, I know from experience
>> heating drug store sulphur to a liquid and pouring it into such holds
>> provides an extremely strong bond to the the bolts and concrete.   As
>> the molten sulphur cools, it expands and locks into the hole and around
>> the bolt.
>>
>> The process is quite easy although smelly, during the heating. I used
>> an inexpensive  smelting pot and a butane torch.  The result was an very
>> good bond for guy anchors holding up a 70' tower with a Mosley S-402 40
>> meter beam on top and a CL-36 tribander, 15' below.    The cost is
>> virtually nothing.
>>
>> I was clued into this by an old time professional machinist who told me
>> this was how they locked heavy, vibrating, machinery down.  They never
>> had a failure, nor did I.
>> Ray, W4BYG
>>

> I was thinking about this on the drive into work this morning. Sulfur
> used to be a way to do things like installing parking meters (which
> need to be secure, but also replaceable, because people back over them).
>
> I don't know how strong it is, though.
>

> $50-60 for a 50 lb sack/pail, which makes it substantially more
> expensive than redimix concrete in sacks.  However, probably a lot
> cheaper than epoxy.
>
> $500/metric ton in 10 ton lots..
>

> There are also wedgelock bolts designed to mount in holes.

Ironic:
The food stamp program, part of the Department of Agriculture, is pleased to be distributing the greatest amount of food stamps ever.
Meanwhile, the Park Service, also part of the Department of Agriculture, asks us to "please do not feed the animals" because the
animals may grow dependent and not learn to take care of themselves...  (Think about that).