[TowerTalk] Guyed + self supporting /2 ??

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Wed Oct 15 12:02:54 EDT 2014

To clarify:

I didn't say not to have a fixed base on a guyed tower.
Rather, the base has to be larger than just a 6 inch
thick slab to keep it from sinking into the ground,
unless a pier pin is used.  For various reasons, I
don't want to use a pier pin, and instead will make
the base large enough.  OTOH, the needed base is
much less than it would be in the self supporting case.

So, you ask, why would I use sections intended for
self supporting applications in a guyed configuration?
Very simple.  I want to assemble the whole tower with
antenna, etc on the ground and tilt it up.  That kind
of thing has been done with Rohn 25, etc, but works
better with sections designed to be self supporting.
Dead weight and strength/weight ratio, and stiffness,
normally of minor importance once the tower is
vertical, are major issues during tilt up.

Rick N6RK