[TowerTalk] Modern station design, or updating.

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Fri Oct 17 02:33:40 EDT 2014

On 10/16/2014 11:29 PM, RMorris wrote:
> I'm getting ready to think about touch screen monitors

A touch screen monitor "at the right angle and distance can be a joy to
use, but they do have drawbacks. If not located and positioned correctly
for you, you can rapidly run into sore, hands, arms, back, and
shoulders.  (Positioning is very important) You'll need to check for RFI
susceptibility and still keep your keyboard for many things. Above all
else: Keep your hands clean.

I've lost track of how many systems I've built, but it's over 20 top end
systems in the past couple of years.  I retired from a CS systems
project manager and my wife says I spend more time on them now.. The
last one under construction is a 5 GHz, 8 core CPU with 32 GB of RAM and
one or two TB of storage.  Water cooling and a full size, steel tower
case  The extra drives are coming out of the machines and going into a
NAS accessed via dual channel wireless. SSDs are now less than I used to
pay for much smaller HDs, but SSDs in the NAS at 35 plus TB is out of
the question.

I currently have 32 TB spread between 5 machines.  A nearby lightening
strike made a mess of the network and one computer. (took out the router
and switch)  I want to get rid of the CAT5-CAT6 hardwired network, even
though they all pass through the protected ports on the UPSs
A touch screen using HRD in here and at the station in the shop would
give access to either station, even on the road, from any "hot spot".

I have HRD in both locations, but working with one hand has really
slowed me down so it's not in operation at present.  Another reason for
SS QRO amps in each location.  I do have a Yaesu KW that needs help that
I hope to get to one of these days, but that's not a true QRO amp.

I basically have the LM470 base and installation fixture finished, but
have to wait for a dryer yard.  I may just have to bite the bullet and
redo the yard after the trucks leave.  which will not leave my wife
overjoyed.  OTOH she's beginning to see the yard may have to suffer to
get all these projects done.

> Usb relay board prices are not extra bad.

They are easy to build as well. Easy and simple and the assembled prices
are quite attractive..  You can also insert power into the line out at
the end.

> http://www.newegg.com/Touch-Screen-Monitor/SubCategory/ID-514
>
> http://www.weedtech.com/index_relay-out.html
>
> https://www.google.com/search?q=usb+relay+boards&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&channel=sb

Newegg has had some really nice prices on touch screens, bur the larger
screens are still pricey and I want nothing to do with Dell or HP
monitors.  My smallest monitors are 24" with the largest being an Asus,
1 ms 27".  My wife says I must be keeping one division running with my
business<:-)) and it was not a compliment.  The toy truck (UPS or Fed-X)
is here a couple times a week.

73

Roger (K8RI)