[TowerTalk] Station Ground

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sun Oct 19 18:56:57 EDT 2014

On 10/19/2014 5:04 PM, Bill Turner wrote:
> ------------ ORIGINAL MESSAGE ------------(may be snipped)
>
> On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 16:09:27 +0000 (UTC), K7MKS wrote:
>
>> Shack location dictates using a 25-30 foot ground level run from a new hams TS-530S to an exterior ground rod. He was planning on using #12 for the run but wonders if braid from RG-8 or a larger diameter single wire etc would offer improvement over a single wire?
> REPLY:

Many older rigs like the Yaesu FT101 series only had a two wire power
cord and depended on a separate ground wire.  I think some of my old
Hallicrafters equipment was the same.  Easily solved by replacing the
power cord with modern 3 wire and tying the chassis to the green wire.

  I had one that nearly electrocuted me due to an over generous solder
joint from the factory. The end of a radial on the 40 meter vertical
(tied to a ground rod at the base of the vertical) measured 110 VAC. The
end of the wire had come loose and curled up. I pulled it tight and
knelt down to stick the end in the ground to hold it.  When my knees
touched the damp ground, it grabbed me.  I fell over and when my knees
broke contact with ground I threw that wire.  Had it been grounded
through the outlet it would have popped the breaker, saving me some sore
arms and chest, or possibly worse.  The other end of that wire tied to a
ground rod.  The ground rod tied to the chassis through the coax
shield.  The chassis was tied to a ground rod just outside the wall.

Use that green wire, or add one.  It's a lot more protection!

73

Roger (K8RI)
.