[TowerTalk] Cadweld vs clamps

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Thu Oct 23 00:11:01 EDT 2014

On 10/22/2014 11:49 PM, Bill Turner wrote:

It probably depends somewhat as to soil conditions.
I've had, and seen, many clamps come loose in just a year or two and
that includes quite a few installed by electricians on house electrical
grounds.

We had to use a string of three rods to satisfy the code for our ground
conditions.  A couple years later we went from an overhead feed to
underground.  (concrete truck hooked the line on the way to pour the
shop floor. )
I decided to check the grounds and all clamps could be lifted off the
rods using only two fingers.  The electrician who put those on
emphasized that they had to be tight and he was a lot bigger than me.

The soil here, in general, is damp and acetic.  The house electrical
ground is is partial fill  which is mainly clay,(back fill is sand) but
the moisture is still acetic.  We are right at the edge of a wooded area
which is almost peat across the N and W sides of our 1 acre lot.  I
assume this area was that way as well.

I've never had a CadWeld fail.

73

Roger (K8RI)