[TowerTalk] Cad welding vs clamps

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Thu Oct 23 20:56:50 EDT 2014

On 10/23/14, 4:37 PM, Drax Felton wrote:

> What if one were not to use a ground rod and just bury the strap?

Sure.. ground contact is ground contact.  If you're interested in code
compliance, there's a description of electrodes of various shapes and
sizes.  And there's a whole IEEE standard on it which will tell you how
long a piece of strap of a particular width you need.

People use metal plates, bars, etc.

And, after all, a Ufer ground is just a 20 foot length of wire or metal
encased in concrete. (which is what *I* would do if I had the trench
dug.. rather than backfill with dirt, backfill with concrete: it will
protect the wire/strap and provide a better contact to both the wire and
the surrounding soil.

A 20 foot long "bar" of concrete a foot on a side is not even a yard of
concrete. And it wouldn't need to be a foot.  I'll bet a 6x6" trench
fill would work quite nicely. And it's not like it needs to have any
special structural properties (well, if it's falling apart because you
used a 1 sack/yard mix like they do for reinforcing trails and
footpaths, it might not meet the need)