[TowerTalk] US Tower MA-550 won't go down

Bill Straw via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Sat Oct 25 15:28:03 EDT 2014

Thanks for advice from several.

Been at it all morning following various suggestions....

The tower wouldn't go down using the base switch or the remote.

Maybe a limit switch is damaged. The tower was stuck extended 5' so both
limit switches were not pressed in. When I pushed on the up-limit switch it
made an audible click like a switch should. The down limit switch makes no
click.

Then I got even more confused. I took out the ohmmeter and the schematic.
When I closed the down-limit switch with a block of wood (18' up the tower)
what the schematic clearly shows as the up-limit switch went from open to
closed (0 ohms)

So then thinking US tower had wired the limit switches wrong I reversed
the wiring in the box for the limit switches, and the tower would go down not
up. At least I got it down.

Anyway, this is too confusing. I guess US Tower will have to help me figure
it out next week.

Moral of the story, I spent $1K extra on a remote control to save a few steps.
In the last four hours I have done the equivilant leg work that I would have
ever done/saved and the tower still doesn't work!

73, Bill KO7SS