[TowerTalk] Measuring Coax Length

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Oct 28 23:54:35 EDT 2014

Likewise!

  I used to believe that if you properly weatherproofed the connections
on 9913, all would be OK.  Then the tower took a direct lightening
strike that removed all the weatherproofing and plating from the
connectors.
A few minutes later I had water running out of the 2-meter rig and onto
the desk.  It also ruined the desk.

I gave away all the 9913 I thought I had, which was about 1500 feet,
plus a few hundred feet of unused.  A couple years ago, the SWR went up
on the 40 meter center fed, half wave  sloper.  When I disconnected a
splice in the junction box where the cable came in, water ran out, so I
had missed a piece.

I replaced all  of the free swinging coax to the slopers with Davis
BuryFlex (TM)  Although I have used 8X successfully to the 40 antennas
running the legal limit with no failures.  I prefer the 8X in that use
as it has low wind resistance.

73

Roger (K8RI)