[TowerTalk] One off balun question

Steve Hunt steve at karinya.net
Fri Oct 31 06:50:16 EDT 2014

I have a spreadsheet which does pretty much what Jim just described.

One thing that interested me when I started looking at the "best fit"
equivalent-circuit values was that the value of C varied depending on
the core material. In other words, you couldn't assume that 10 turns of
a particular coax on a "240-size" core, say, would always give the same
value of equivalent capacitance - it varies considerably depending on
the core material.

I've not yet yet found a mechanism that will predict the variation in C
to my satisfaction, but clearly a simple model based on inter-winding
capacitance doesn't get close.

If we had a good way to predict C, predicting the CM impedance of a
particular choke design would be relatively straightforward.

Steve G3TXQ