[TowerTalk] Tower leg insulators and covering

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Tue Sep 2 22:46:47 EDT 2014

On 9/2/2014 11:35 AM, Mike Bragassa wrote:

Many paints will work as well. Don't use clear. It'll work...kinda. It's
fine if it'll block UV

On a lathe, use carbide tools and a vacuum to keep the powder out of the
ways and gears (and your lungs).  It's highly abrasive and can take the
precision out of precision lathe<:-))

Other than that, it's fairly easy to machine.

I've seen the big commercial VHF verticals coated with an ample layer,
or layers of plain epoxy, but they had to be redone every few years.
Results varied.  Those things are heavy and awkward.
I think paint worked better.  Some ham verticals use a thin coat of
gloss epoxy paint, but after a year or two it rubs off on hands and
clothing.  But it will protect the fiberglass underneath for quite a few
years if not rubbed off.

73

Roger (K8RI)