[TowerTalk] G-2800DXA lightning damage

Kenneth Goodwin krgoodwin at comcast.net
Fri Sep 5 15:10:13 EDT 2014

Agree, disconnecting everything is the only reasonable means of protection.
If your radio equipment is hooked to a power outlet and/or a computer, those
connections will have to be disconnected also unless one feels confident
enough to have the power/network/Internet/telephone connections protected.
Near field lightning hits which are the highest probability of occurring for
most nominal station configurations, will result in two common scenarios.
They obviously induce large amounts of energy into antenna systems and such
things as one's security system if it has long wired connection paths, e.g.
window sensors on one loop.  Near field hits will also bring the energy
right up the ground connections as the potential level of one's land is
raised with the hit (the reason for single point grounds).  Don't rely on
your Internet provider even if they have what looks like a protection device
in the cable.  They just normally ground the shield connection if cable
Internet/TV/VOIP telephone is used.  Same applies to one's telephone if that
is another wired connection.  Since disconnecting every secondary connection
is difficult, having protection for all of those other 'connections' is
probably the next best step. Disconnecting one's antennas/control lines is
still desirable regardless since the probability of one's antennas
conducting energy is > 0.  One also needs to remember the impact of today's
house insurance deductibles.  Last thing I want to do with my house
insurance company is file a claim.  It's why I use the ARRL Insurance
program for my most expensive radio equipment.  For my secondary
connections, I use multiple UPS's for power, have a gas discharge device in
my Comcast cable as it enters the house in addition to protection at the
network box interface.  My TV/Internet cable runs above ground except for
the connection from the pole to the house where it runs underground as is
normally implemented by most cable companies.  In the newer neighborhoods,
underground utilities are worth every indirect penny it costs.  I use surge
protection for the AC power at the breaker box and telephone line protection
(MOVs) at the line entrance to the house.  I tried protecting the AC power
at the pole but the electric company didn't like that even though I own the
underground wire from the breaker box to the pole.  They rightfully demand
control for everything from the power meter back.  I know I can't fool
Mother Nature even with my single point ground system since I have so many
back doors.  I realize the commercial people are able to do it, but they
start out with a fresh sheet of paper and can easily design adequate
lightning protection from the very beginning with a no exception single
point ground system.  Ken K5RG

Message: 5