[TowerTalk] Modeling a ground plane

ve4xt at mymts.net ve4xt at mymts.net
Wed Sep 10 11:48:57 EDT 2014

Hi Bill,
At six feet, your radials are still coupling to the Earth and thus being detuned. Which is why adjusting your radiator has a greater effect. Can't dismiss also the odds of common-mode current affecting your readings. Do you use a choke?

I've tried to find the reference but have to leave home now. There is a minimum height above ground before the radials are truly isolated from ground. For some reason, the height of 1/4 wl comes to mind.

Which is not to say elevated radials can't work at lower heights: chances are your radials will be more effective than the same number not elevated. It merely explains your tuning issue.

I think the work I was trying to find was by N6LF. Cebik may have also done some work.

73,
Kelly
ve4xt

Sent from my iPad