[TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

Kirby Hallenbeck 1sailorman at comcast.net
Thu Sep 18 20:24:46 EDT 2014

Thanks for spurring me into action Dave n4zkf and Chris. I usually climb
with the two so called gorilla hooks, and been wanting to put a safer
climber on the 3/8" cable that came with the tower. So as luck would have it
I found several new DBI Sala versions going for $75 on ebay and got the last
one, which is a GREAT price.

I like the picture of Chris installation and will add the tension spring,
too. So something positive in this thread for me. As far a the free climbing
position, I agree we need to be in shape, but isn't it THE LAW now for 100%
tie off now? AS far as "instantly grabbing" goes, unless your hand operate
in quantum mechanical dimensions, then it can't be in two places at once.
Being a newer ham I have ALWAYs used 100% attachment. I also heard the
bravado and got BS for being a sissy, but then I had read articles about
falls and made the logical conclusion and really didn't care what the old
timers said if it made no sense TO ME.  No one can guarantee they won't have
a medical emergency or stir up a wasps nest, etc, etc when on a tower.

Be safe up there.

Thanks 73 Kirby AF6OP.

.Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident
.
.I mentioned it earlier. Tuf-Tug makes them. They are called safer climbs.
.
.
.73 Dave n4zkf
.