[TowerTalk] Sad day - W9ZUC tower accident

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Fri Sep 19 00:27:16 EDT 2014

Well, Champion Radio (shameless plug for Steve) sells an excellent hook
with a safety latch.  I personally use the following hook, though ...
it's made from high strength aluminum and is very light (about one
pound) with a large throat and a safety latch that is very easy to
handle while climbing, yet super strong laterally (where the force
usually is directed in a fall).  Check out the specs:

http://www.rescuetech1.com/iscritrecoveryhooknew.aspx

You just squeeze the hook to release the latch so there is no extra
motion involved, and when you let go the latch locks with a positive
click.  It's visually very obvious whether the latch has engaged or not.

73,
Dave AB7E