[TowerTalk] Climbing

Wilson infomet at embarqmail.com
Mon Sep 29 10:45:55 EDT 2014

Isn’t this topic about done?

But a new question:  I’ve never climbed much and never used a harness at all, but I have one now and will use it.
But isn’t the dorsal attachment of the fall arrest lanyard asking for trouble?
It seems to me that the usual lanyards are too long and that with the dorsal attachment they are very likely to snap tight and slam one’s face into the tower when the big stop occurs at the end of the fall?
It looks like a ventral attachment would be much less likely to produce secondary pain/injury, especially if one wore a helmet?

Really, our towers and high work are pretty benign, as far as stress and danger go.  The Russian kid did fine, but they weren’t even under sail!
For perspective, ask how many of us could survive this:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sUhKBZb7A7c\
And for some instructive detail and depth, this is worth some time:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7Q_SfMvSMw
OSHA would have put the sailing ships out of business, if their economics had not!

If I ever have a tall tower, it will have the safety cable system, which I think is far superior to all that hooking and unhooking!
But I’m likely too old and lazy...

73,
Wilson
W4BOH