[TowerTalk] Zerk fitting for MA-40

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Fri Apr 10 15:01:02 EDT 2015

Both barbed (press-in) and threaded Zerks are common.  A left handed
drill bit would assist in removing the still in place piece. Drilling
the hole out, tapping it, and screwing in a new Zerk sounds easy as does
drilling the broken piece and using an EZ-Out and tapping in a press-in
Zerk but... you are likely to get metal shavings in the bearing.  How do
you prevent metal debris from getting into the bearing?  I think using a
left handed bit to remove the piece left behind and then pressing in a
new Zerk is less likely to put debris in the bearing but if it were me,
I'd consider replacing the bearing. I wouldn't be buying from DXE as
their bearing proices are more than a little more than the bearings csan
be bought for over the counter retail from a number of suppliers.

If a new bearing is not approved then put a strong rare earth magnet on
the drill bit to try to prevent debris from wandering into places it is
not wanted.

Best of luck to you.  Oh, the last 2 inch ID bearing in a stout carier
predrilled for mounting equipped with a screw-in Zerk cost less than $20
delivered.

Patrick