[TowerTalk] 2 dB

Steve Sacco NN4X nn4x at embarqmail.com
Fri Apr 10 20:09:33 EDT 2015

  WRT to "22 dB" versus "20 dB", this is not an uncommon line of
thinking, but viewed from a competitive angle, it's profoundly incorrect.

It's NOT that you're 2 dB louder when they're hearing you 20 or 22 dB
over S9 - it's when you hear/work stations which are 2 dB out of the
noise, and nobody else can, because everyone else's antenna systems are
2 db worse than yours.  It's when you're one of several stations all
chasing a p-weak mult at the end of a band opening, and the op answers
YOU because you're 1/3 of an S-unit louder than the others.

THAT is the importance of 2 dB.

AB7E did some cool work awhile ago WRT "Minimum Dicernable Difference".
Check it out: http://www.ab7e.com/weak_signal/mdd.html

73,

Steve
NN4X (hopefully at least 2 dB louder than you  :-)  )

In a message dated 4/10/2015 8:21:11 P.M. Coordinated Universal Time,