[TowerTalk] antenna choices

Roger (K8RI) on TT K8RI-on-TowerTalk at tm.net
Sat Apr 11 03:29:42 EDT 2015

On 4/11/2015 2:13 AM, Jim Brown wrote:
> On Fri,4/10/2015 10:52 PM, Bry Carling wrote:
>> Conversely not everything that is expensive  is superior.
>
> And not everything that is cheap is OK.

How about inexpensive?  I know it's semantics, but there can be a huge
difference between inexpensive and cheap!  <:-))  I recently saw a group
raving about some of these super expensive status symbols, when the real
auto enthusiasts were referring to them as maintenance hungry, expensive
POS. <LOL>

When it comes to ham gear, and this has shown up on a number of
amplifier news groups:

Only in the past few years has IMD even been addressed for top end
rigs.  They are dealing with astounding receiver specs that have long
passed the point of being useful on HF when the majority of problems
arise because the signals are in the realm of being a POS. Yes, dynamic
ranges are terrific when a station 20 or 30 KHz up, or down is 20 or 30
over. Yet it will do nothing if the station 20 KHz up, or down is over
driving the amp with leading edge spikes making the signal 30, or 40 KHz
wide. Yet there are hams who seem unable to understand why they hear a
station 10 KHz up that is only S9 or 10 over (with IM3 of only 30 db)
After all, the specs show that is well outside the bandpass of their
filters.  Only recently have signals from "top end" and expensive rigs
even "APPROACHED" the quality of the old Collins S-Line and they brag
about an IM3 of 40 to 45 db.

Cheap Vs inexpensive should be a no brainer when I can purchase a used
F12 C19XR for $500 completely disassembled and well marked (which I
did).  I only need to clean the joining sections, coat with Noalox, or
other conductive grease for Aluminum and install new rivets.  If I want
to take the time, a fine Scotch Bright pad will have it shining and a
coat or two of clear Krylon will keep it that way for a few years.

Towers as well can be found used and with the exception of light duty
towers like the 25G (stay away from the really cheap stuff). You might
have to hunt, but there are a lot of bargains in used crank ups.  After
all, to take a crank up, down usually involves removing a few bolts.

I'd like to replace my 10' 45G with a heavy duty crank up that'd go, 90,
or 100 feet.  Those are not as easy to find, nor are they cheap.

Used is often the most bang for the buck by far, if the product is in
good shape.

73

Roger (K8RI)