[TowerTalk] Not just what antenna, but how high and the QTH

Bill via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Sun Apr 12 22:39:23 EDT 2015

Mike brings up an interesting point.  Yes, the antenna is  important, but
so is how high you put it up and the surrounding terrain.  I  can't stress
strongly enough how important it is to do HFTA, especially if you  live on
anything other than flat Florida terrain.

I'm currently looking for a QTH that is killer.  Every place  I'm seriously
considering gets the HFTA treatment as a litmus test.  Crappy  HFTA results
and it gets cast aside.  Yeah it's pretty obvious if you have  a hilltop
QTH, you'll get out quite well.

What is not so obvious is that if you sit on a 200 ft cliff facing  the
ocean, your signal will be really good on 40 and 80, but will suffer on 20,  15
and 10 due to rapid peaks and dips at various angles of arrival.   Without
doing the HFTA most of us would not be aware of these  shortcomings.

Sitting on a nice smooth hill drop is preferable to one that has  rises and
falls as it drops.  The first yields a nice smooth pattern, the  second has
dips and rises.   The more I play with BV's HFTA the more I  learn

Now I'm not saying your signal will stink because it won't on a  cliff.
I'm only saying that it's not just the antenna, but the location  and the
height of the antenna too.

K4XS

In a message dated 4/13/2015 2:24:18 A.M. Coordinated Universal Time,