[TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS

Jim Thomson jim.thom at telus.net
Sun Apr 12 23:31:50 EDT 2015

Date: Sun, 12 Apr 2015 15:24:27 -0400
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists at subich.com>
To: towertalk at contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TowerTalk] [Bulk] Re:  antenna choices for K4XS

K7LXC and N0AX published two widely respected *scientific* studies
of tribander performance using validated measurement techniques to
directly compare the performance of the tested antennas against a
standard (dipole).  These were field tests not some modeling exercise
that failes to capture real world losses in the antenna design.

In those tests, the Mosley antennas TA-33, PRO-57B and PRO-77 were
the *worst* performers in their respective (small and large tribader)
categories.  The TA33 averaged LESS than 1 dB gain compared to a dipole
on 20 meters and LESS than 1.5 dB gain compared to a dipole on 10
meters.  The PRO57B and PRO77 both averaged LESS than 1 dB gain
compared to a dipole on 20 meters and more than 1 dB *LESS* gain
compared to a dipole on 10 meters.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV

##  Oh this just cracks me right up !   Megabuck Mosley PRO 57 / 77
has essentially no gain on any band.
The kicker is.... the PRO-57/77 has LESS  gain on 10m  vs the paltry
TA-33 !!!     WTF ?

##  I mean..come on folks.   LESS than 1 db gain on 20M.....vs a dipole  for the 57/77 .
57/77  has NEGATIVE GAIN on 10M.....by > 1 db.....vs a dipole.

##  My conclusion is.... if you want some gain on 10M.... a dipole will do the trick...and has
>1db more gain than the megabuck mosely.

##  55/77 has LESS than 1db gain on 20M....vs a dipole.

##  No wonder a 2 el  F12 will wipe the floor with a mosley..and so will a gotham quad.
What the mosley will do is provide some FB and FS and that’s about it.

Jim  VE7RF