[TowerTalk] antenna choices for K4XS

Joe Subich, W4TV lists at subich.com
Mon Apr 13 09:07:07 EDT 2015

On 2015-04-13 8:10 AM, Stan Stockton wrote:
 > N0AX wrote:
 >
>> The main issue with the Mosley PRO antennas we tested was on 10
>> meters where gain and pattern were definitely below spec.

Stan,  Ward obviously failed to reread his document before making
that statement.  The reported average/(peak) gain for the PRO-57B
was 0.7/(1.3) dB on 20, -0.8/(0.5) dB on 15 and -1.0/(1.5) dB on
10 meters.  This compares to 5/(5) on 20, 4.2/(5) on 15 and 5.8/(6)
on 10 meters for the discontinued Cushcraft X9.

The patterns reported in the "data set" for each of the antennas
showed no significant pattern skewing for the Mosley antennas
compared to any of the other antennas tested.

The difference between Mosley and the other antennas is entirely
in antenna efficiency - not directivity.

> I'll stop short of calling it bashing but will say that it appears
> there is a lot of unfair bias in regards to Mosley.

I'm sticking to the objective data and not engaging in bashing
based on anecdotal information.

If I were Mosley bashing, I would be saying that 35 years ago my
first tribander was a TA36 and it was a dog.  It got beat by every
HyGain TH3, Cushcraft ATB4 or Quad in the area.  I could not wait
to get rid of it.  I do better today with my low dipoles, R5 and
100W than I did 35 years ago with the TA36 and a KW.  Now *that*
would be Mosley bashing.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV