[TowerTalk] trap antenna performance

Jim Lux jimlux at earthlink.net
Mon Apr 13 10:54:31 EDT 2015

On 4/13/15 7:39 AM, Paul Christensen wrote:
>> "But traps are kind of difficult to model (at least in NEC) at a very
> detailed level.  So maybe if the L or the C of the trap changes
> significantly, then the trap resonance changes, which then changes the
> apparent series L or C in the element.
>
> Trap Q is more difficult to accurately model than it is to measure.  A few
> measurements are worth a thousand words that talk about trap loss.

I was trying to build a fixture to measure traps on a 6BTV using a VNA,
but it's a decidedly non-trivial proposition to de-embed the fixture.
(where non-trivial means I couldn't figure it out over the weekend I was
interested in doing it).

I believe Tom Rauch did some trap Q measurements and got "in the
hundreds", so the loss effects, I suspect, are negligible.. that's why
I'm thinking "detuning" of some sort.

http://www.w8ji.com/traps.htm

On a multiband dipole application, with the trap resonant frequency well
between bands, it's probably not super critical..with a parallel
resonant circuit below resonance it looks inductive and above resonance,
it's capacitive, but the Z isn't changing too fast.

In a Yagi, though, where you're looking for specific amplitude and phase
relationships, I can see it having a bigger effect.