[TowerTalk] Hauling hardline into a 4 inch cable duct

Gene Smar ersmar at verizon.net
Wed Apr 15 14:10:32 EDT 2015

Keith et al:

     When I worked at a local electric utility company designing substations, we had a design rule of thumb for conduit.  The total area of the cables when all built out should equal 40% of the area of the conduit interior.  For Ham radio stuff (like my tower) I used 50% fill factor.  So, if you buy into that premise, your conduit should be twice the cross-sectional area of the total cables you plan to install.

     One more thing:  If you have any turns in the conduit run, like at the two ends, use sweeps and not elbows.  The sweeps are larger, gentler turns (larger radius) and make pulling large cables at lot easier.

73 de
Gene Smar  AD3F