[TowerTalk] Replacement Thrust Bearing

K7LXC--- via TowerTalk towertalk at contesting.com
Fri Apr 17 17:56:09 EDT 2015

>  I am overhauling my rotator and thought it would be good  to replace my
thrust bearing also.
I have the Rohn TB3 bearing now.  It  has been in use for 18 years and
feels pretty rough.

    That's pretty SOP for a mature TB3. What are  you using the tb for? If
you've got all of your mast and antenna on it  taking the weight off of the
rotator, that's one thing. If you're just using it  as a bushing to help
with horizontal forces, that's another.

    With case 1, another bearing might be the way to  go. The rough races
will only get rougher (steel ball bearings in an aluminum  race will only
take so much abuse).

    With case 2, it's probably FB since you're not  asking it to do much.

>  Im thinking of going with a different bearing this time with a steel
body and greased. (grease fitting)
Looked thru the archives on tower  talk to find out what others have used
and can?t find much,
on this type of  replacement and I know the bearing supply houses have
them, just haven?t
pursued searching with them yet.   I would like to know what  others have
used.

    I haven't seen a decent bearing like you're  describing that'll work
outdoors. US Tower uses a pillow bearing that's designed  for indoor use.
There's an Allen screw that holds everything and over time the  Allen screw
rusts terminally and you have to drill it out to do anything with  the bearing
or mast. Not recommended.

>   Array Solutions has their model TB2 which is this type of  bearing but
it only has a two hole flange for mounting.

    Again, even if you have the bearing holding the  weight, you're still
not asking it to do much. I don't see any way to secure the  mast from the
picture. If it's got the aforementioned Allen screw, you could be  screwed as
well.

    IMO thrust bearings are only marginally useful  since you want some/all
of the mast/antenna weight on the rotator or just have  it act as a bushing
so you might rethink the TB issue and whether you even  need one.

Cheers,
Steve    K7LXC
TOWER TECH