[TowerTalk] Near Field Lightning Damage

Patrick Greenlee patrick_g at windstream.net
Sat Apr 18 22:17:56 EDT 2015

Back in the 80's a tuna boat pulled into San Diego with every device on
board containing a semi-conductor inoperative.  CB radio, Marine VHF,
SSB, SONAR, RADAR, VHS tape player, SatNav LORAN, and on and on...  All
the crew members wore digital watches which were all totally dead.

One near miss by a large lightning stroke took out everything with solid
state semiconductor junctions.  The good news was they didn't have a
spotter chopper aloft at the time dependent on the aircraft beacon band
transmitter on board to find the boat (helipad is the roof of the pilot
house.)  We theorized it was the EMP that ate everything as there was no
evidence that the bolt hit the boat.

Later when asked what could be done to provide an immune backup comm
radio we told them a mu metal box.  A Faraday cage wouldn't stop the
magnetic pulse.

Just a thought in case there are any serious preppers in our midst.

Patrick    NJ5G