[TowerTalk] TowerTalk Digest, Vol 148, Issue 75

James Wolf jbwolf at comcast.net
Mon Apr 20 11:13:58 EDT 2015

Warren,

I have a friend who was very involved in tests in the Pacific - bikini Is.
etc.  He was told no autos ran and the power was out for a few hours in
Hawaii just after one of the tests.
He also has long term effects of radiation damage to his body.

Jim - KR9U
_______________________________

I was stationed in Hawaii during many of the Operation Dominic Tests.  I had
a facility on Johnston Island.
I received reports from various aircraft monitoring those these tests.  Not
one aircraft suffered any damage from the emitted EMP.

If one thinks seriously about it, for EMP to damage a piece of equipment, it
would have to be connected to a power main [Think, "Long antenna"].  No
antenna; no damaging voltages.

If in the case of an auto ignition system OR a digital watch, I allege, it
is highly doubtful that enough EMP could be intercepted to precipitate a
failure.  A Dr.
Rabinowitz can be GOOGLed to read his paper on EMP.
It is considered a classic on the subject.  Also, it is an old wives tale
that claims the street lights in Honolulu were fried during some of the
tests.  NOT true.

Warren; W7WY